Sunday 22 April 2012

Thursday at the races ...

I have to apologise for the quality of this photograph; it was taken with my phone after maybe one or two ginger beers had been consumed.

There's no kidding going on here, it really was ginger beer -it's not that I'm a tea-totaler, nor is it that I couldn't find any booze, rather, the point is that this photograph was taken during the eponymous evening -okay, okay, I know that this term had been mis-used, so let's call it poetic licence.

... and ginger beer was consumed because there was real driving involved after the Scalextric fun had finished. So, let's get on with the story ...

The event in question took place on the evening of 15th February 2012, and contrary to anything else you might hear, I won the evening.

Before we go on, how about a little bit about me? Okay, here goes: For a living I'm a software engineer. I take contract work; I won't go into much detail because
  • You might get bored
  • You might not fully understand
  • You might not care
  • It's not really relevant to this blog
I would like it to be known however that I think that I'm pretty good at what I do. Okay, I do have my faults, too many in fact to be listed here, but I feel one which is worthy of mention here is my interpersonal skills.

I'm not a bully, but I occasionally could be perceived as such; the actual truth of the matter is that I can't stand a "professional liar"; this is the type of person who secures a position within a business when they are in fact not in posession of the skills to perform their duty, and rather than "fessing up" to their lack of whatever it is they lack, instead they lie and cheat. I'm quite good at "sussing out" this type of person; and when I have done so, I make it my "mission" to make sure everyone else knows what I have found. I don't suffer fools either; oh and I'm quite direct too.

So, how does this relate to my Scalextric blog? Well, it doesn't really. I just like to talk about myself.

I took it upon myslef to organise a "team building" exercise; so we took over the lounge of one team member's apartment for an evening. He supplied the pizza, I supplied the Scalextric, and one of the Agile coaches supplied the drinks and snacks -next time around I am assured that we will have to take care of the pizza amongst ourselves, since it cost a bit more than apartment owner anticipated.

We raced for several hours; It resembled stock racing more than anything else, but it was great fun and I think it's fair to say that everyone enjoyed the evening.

I'm bored now, and I need to go to bed, but at least I think I've made the point that I intended in this post ... Scalextric can be a great tool as well as a great source of entertainment. By spending a few hours one evening playing at racing, we managed to forge a stronger team for our day job. It's a shame that some of the team members were absent, but my hope is that the next time they will not be.

I leave you now with a few pictures of some smashing tracks we (my family, not my work colleagues) enjoyed in the ensuing days ...



If you look carefully at this one, you will
actually see Nancy and Shey playing together.
How cool is that?
This is Miles' son playing with us here.
Miles brought him over to our place
one evening for a bit of 'father son time'.
We were happy to assist.
This is of course my boy, demonstrating how
proud he is of the wonderful track we have
put together -he beat me 'hands down' on
this one!





  

No comments:

Post a Comment